Friday, January 1, 2010

Looking back.....

Those that know me know that my love language is quality time. Connecting at a heart level totally fills my cup! This might be long but I saw this on another blog and I am going to give it a whirl!


Reflection Questions for 2009

1. What was the single best thing that happened this past year?

Finding great fits for Jacob (son 2) for his schooling and life. He is 12 and on the autism spectrum and after a 10 year journey with treatment, therapy and intervention we have the best fit possible during this season of his life and when you are 12 that means a whole lot! This mama is most grateful!

2. What was the single most challenging thing that happened?

Sam (son 3) having suck issues and not being able to nurse effectively. I have pumped for over 11 months and it was very, very hard and not the route I wanted to go. My son has been able to have 100% breast milk which was my goal but it was the much harder route to pump vs. nurse. I nursed Jacob (son 2) for a year and loved it.

3. What was an unexpected joy this past year?

That would have to be having the incredible blessing of seeing my husband be blessed by his extended family and his relationship with his dad and Mama Sylvia. Just one year ago we were driving and playing the question game and he shared how sad he was about certain aspects of relationships with his family. One of his desires was to have a closer relationship with his dad and that happened in a beautiful way this year. It was a process that began with his dad and Sylvia being there when Sam was born, having contact through the year and several wonderful visits in the past few months. It was a incredible beautiful blessing that Trae and I are so grateful for.

4. What was an unexpected obstacle?

Andrew (ds 3) moving out this fall. I knew he would be gone in 18 months but didn't plan on fall 2009. It was premature and although I have spent his life entrusting him to the Lord I am not sure I ever did it 100% until this fall. Lots of tears and grateful for the 17.5 years I had with him under my roof. As a parent my goal is relationship so regardless where he sleeps relationship is my goal and he doesn't have to live here to have that.

5. Pick three words to describe 2009.

Blessed, stretched and grateful.

6. Pick three words your spouse would use to describe your 2009 (don’t ask them; guess based on how you think your spouse sees you).

Stretched, secured and tired.

7. Pick three words your spouse would use to describe their 2009 (again, without asking).

Grateful, stretched and surprised.

8. What were the best books you read this year?

Started many, finished few and probably read more blogs and online articles than books this year. With a baby, little free time and being more tired than normal reading was a luxury! Since I will be done pumping soon my goal is to be in bed earlier and find some reading time.

9. With whom were your most valuable relationships? My husband, my boys, our family and dear friends! We were very, very blessed this year in the area of relationships.

10. What was your biggest personal change from January to December of this past year?
Letting go would have to be my biggest personal change due to letting go of free time, desires, children, relationships, etc.

11. In what way(s) did you grow emotionally?

Letting go and moving on and embracing today.

12. In what way(s) did you grow spiritually?

I grew in my relationship with the Lord this year in the area of prayer and seeing how specific the Lord desires to be in my life. That he cares about the daily with me, big and little things and is close enough to be specific in my life.

13. In what way(s) did you grow physically?

Giving up my body for the last 2 years. Between a pregnancy, daily shots, weekly visits, giving birth and pumping around the clock my body has not been my own. Motherhood is demanding in many aspects and this is part of the sacrifice.

14. In what way(s) did you grow in your relationships with others?

Receive the beauty of the relationships that are fulfilling, letting go of others that are not and accepting some that are not what I desire but they are what they are and I can't fix everything and that is OK! I am responsible for my part and that alone.

15. What was the most enjoyable area of managing your home?

My love of cooking has grown over the past 5 years and that is so enjoyable to me and my family loves it too!

16. What was your most challenging area of home management?

We have lived here for 2 years and we have done many things that we desired to do. However, I have about 5 things that I really want done to be done and I can see that unless I move them to the top of the list they won't. It is more finishing touches, not huge jobs but things that matter to me as a woman and homemaker.

17. What was your single biggest time waster in your life this past year?

Stressing about details!

18. What was the best way you used your time this past year?

Pouring into things that matter such as my relationship with the Lord, those around me (friends and family) and seeking out things that aid in my growth such as my Titus 2 group, HWY team and other relationships that the Lord uses in my life.

19. What was the biggest thing you learned this past year?

I knew many years ago what a gift Trae was in my life. Each and every year I realize more and more what an amazing man he is. Being stretching and letting go can be hard and had moments that it was anything but lovely on me. Yet, he loved, served, gave and loved some more. I am forever grateful and blessed!!!

20. Create a phrase or statement that describes 2009 for you.

Amazing, broken, beautifully blessed, letting go, spoken for, seeking, loved and embraced by grace.


No comments:

Post a Comment