Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Southern Living strawberry cake




Baking is like therapy to me. When I want to be creative, relax and seek nurture I find myself pondering recipes and escaping to the kitchen to bake. My dear friend gave me this monogrammed apron for my birthday too! Everyone that knows me knows that being in the kitchen is something I love. If you know me really well you know that being in the kitchen 24/7 isn't something I love. The last year I have craved fruity desserts. Don't worry I still love chocolate but I crave desserts with lemon, strawberry and lime flavors. This cake isn't 100% from scratch either! It calls for a cake mix however the fresh fruit and everything else makes it a keeper for sure. I figure with if it is good enough to make Southern Livings pages than it makes my cut too! Enjoy!!!

Ingredients for 12 Servings

• 1 (18.25-ounce) Package white cake mix
• 1 (3-ounce) Package strawberry gelatin
• 4 Large eggs
• ½ Cup sugar
• ½ Cup finely chopped fresh strawberries
• ½ Cup milk
• ½ Vegetable oil
• 1/3 Cup all-purpose flour
• Strawberry Buttercream Frosting (see below)
• Garnish with whole and halved strawberries

Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Beat cake mix, strawberry gelatin, eggs, sugar, chopped fresh strawberries, milk, vegetable oil and all-purpose flour at low speed with an electric mixer for 1 minute. Scrape down sides, and beat at medium speed for 2 more minutes, stopping to scrape down sides, as needed. (The Strawberries should be well blended.)
2. Pour batter into 3 greased and floured 9-inch round cake pans.
3. Bake at 350 degrees for 23 minutes, or until cakes spring back when pressed lightly with a finger. Let cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and cool completely (about 1 hour.)
4. Spread the Strawberry Buttercream Frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake. Garnish with whole and halved strawberries. Serve immediately, or chill for up to 1 week.

To make ahead: Prepare recipe as directed. Chill, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until frosting is set. Cover well with wax paper, and store in refrigerator up to a week.

Strawberry Buttercream Frosting
Ingredients
• 1 Cup butter, softened
• (32-ounce) Package powdered sugar, sifted
• 1 Cup finely chopped fresh strawberries
Preparation
1. Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy (about 20 seconds). Add sugar and strawberries, beating at low speed until creamy. (Add more sugar if frosting is too thin, or add strawberries if too thick.)

3 comments:

  1. You are just awesome! Miss you and love you even more! By the way, gorgeous picture of you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh.My.Goodness! I LOVE strawberry cake, but, alas, unlike you, my favorite place is NOT the kitchen - I attribute it to NOT having anyone to cook for, so we'll stick with that. BUT the next time I feel adventurous in there (and when I have people over to cook for!) I'm going to try this! sounds so very, very, yummy! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete