Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Precious gift.....



With 3 boys in 3 different seasons of life I have had a desire for a very long time to go back and have a few days with each of them as toddlers. I know, I know that sounds silly but it was such a precious stage that I wish that could happen. I was a young mom with my first 2 (21 and 26) and I treasured and savored it all. I can't relate to people that say they are a better mom now that they are older. I loved mothering and all my boys, I have been a homemaker for 19 years and the only thing different with having one at 38 is that I know how fast the time goes.

When I hug, hold and cuddle Sam during this stage I hold on, pause, breath, soak it in and don't let go. I know what is coming.....and I won't ever be able to cuddle a toddler because he won't be a toddler. He will be 4 and off to preschool, 7 and starting summer camp, 13 and asking mom to please not hug him in front of his friends, 18 and preparing to leave the nest.

A few days ago Sam wasn't happy. We were all here but the only thing that he wanted was to be in my arms. He wanted to be held, rocked and talked to by me. It was such a precious gift. It last about 20 minutes. Sam is a people person to the core. We have seen that in him since he was a newborn. It was almost as if during this sweet time together he knew.....he knew, that big boys don't rest in their mama's arms. Trae just sat and watched and soaked it in too. I will always treasure that memory....the gift. It may be the last time my baby lets me cuddle him for that period of time. I asked Trae to please get the camera because if I can't cuddle my toddler forever than what a treasure it would be to have a picture of such a sweet memory.

My heart overflows with gratitude to the Lord for blessing me in specific ways He knows have immense value to me.

PS. Do you notice his hand....when he was very, very young he would hold onto my shirt when I cuddled him. It gave me a firm grasp on mom and he always made sure he could touch my skin too. Even though he is 2 years old now he still reached up and held on in a similar way.


1 comment: